- 1 package thin crust pizza dough (the kind you buy in the refrigerated section- look for the THIN CRUST)
- 2 bottles BBQ sauce (poured into bowls for spooning on pizza/brushing on onions)
- 1 vidalio onion, sliced to medium thickness, about 1/4”
- 2 cups gouda, colby jack or american cheese, shredded (I’ve also heard that goat cheese or chevre are very tasty)
- 1lb package chicken cutlets
Preheat a gas grill to medium heat. Oil the grates with canola oil and make sure they are well coated so the chicken and then the pizza dough does not stick.
Marinate the chicken cutlets in BBQ sauce for 15 minutes in advance (if time permits) and grill on 350-400 degress/medium heat until internal temp reaches 165 degrees, baste with additional BBQ sauce for extra flavor. Grill the onions, glazing them in bbq sauce, until they begin to get crispy. Remove Chicken and tent under foil. After they have rested, slice them into pieces.
In the meantime, dust the cutting board with flour or cornmeal so the dough does not stick. Roll the pizza dough out into one gigantic square (which is usually the size of a medium/large cutting board).Next, take your dough and cut it into 10-12 squares with kitchen shears.
Place the pieces on a well oiled grate on medium heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until char-marks have formed. Turn the heat down to medium (on charcoal, close the vents) and flip the pizza pieces. Now start adding toppings. Spoon a generous amount of BBQ sauce, cheese, sliced chicken and onion pieces each mini pizza. Close the lid and let the cheese melt into the toppings, about 3-4 minutes.
Once the cheese has melted, remove the pizzas and serve immediately.