- 1-1/2 cups chopped sweet onions
- 1-1/2 cups dry white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup plus 6 tablespoons shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 pound ground chicken
- 3/4 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 6 slices tomato
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- Place the onion, wine and garlic in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook until wine is reduced to about 1/4 cup. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach, bread crumbs, 1/4 cup cheese, mustard, salt, pepper and onion mixture. Crumble meat over mixture and mix well. Shape into six patties.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear. Serve on buns with tomato, spinach and remaining cheese. Yield: 6 servings.