- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer
- In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Loosen skin from around the chicken breast, thighs and legs. Rub the spice mixture onto and under skin. Tuck wing tips behind the back. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Prepare grill for indirect grilling, using a drip pan. Pour out half of the beer, reserving for another use. Poke additional holes in top of the can with a can opener. Holding the chicken with legs pointed down, lower chicken over the can so it fills the body cavity.
- Place chicken over drip pan; grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat juices run clear. Remove chicken from grill; cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove chicken from can. Yield: 6 servings.