- 1 Tablespoon Grape Seed Oil
- ½ whole Large Onion, Small Dice
- 3-½ ounces, weight Shitake Mushrooms, Small Dice
- 2 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1-½ teaspoon Chinese Five Spice Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1-½ pound Lean Ground Beef
- ⅔ cups Frozen Corn Or Peas, Thawed
- 1 can Water Chestnuts, Small Dice; A Can Is 8 Ounces
- ¼ cups Chinese Cooking Wine
- 1 cup Beef Broth, Low-sodium
- 3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce, Low Sodium
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 1 Tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- ½ teaspoons Sesame Oil
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium to medium high heat. Add the onions and mushrooms and cook until the onions are translucent.
2. Add the garlic, Chinese Five spice and the ginger. Cook for about 2 minutes.
3. Add the ground beef. Stir to break up the beef as it cooks.
4. When the beef has browned, add the corn or peas, the water chestnuts and the Chinese cooking wine. Allow the wine to reduce by half.
5. Add the beef broth, soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar and sesame oil. Cook until the liquid has reduced to just a few tablespoons in the bottom of the skillet.
*Note, low sodium soy sauce was used in this recipe. If you only have regular soy sauce, start with only 2 tablespoons, give it a taste and if it needs more soy sauce you can add more.
Serve with rice, or in lettuce cups.