- For the Marinade:
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon finely minced thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 4 portobello mushrooms, stems removed and scrubbed clean
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 pieces of green or red leaf lettuce, washed and dried
- 1 roma tomato, sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
In a small bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, thyme, and salt.
Place portobellos in a large resealable plastic bag. Pour in marinade, seal bag, and toss to coat mushrooms thoroughly. Let marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Liglht one chimney full of charcoa. When all charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and spread the coals evenly over entire surface of coal grate. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate. Grill mushrooms until juicy and tender, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
Transfer portobellos to buns. Top with lettuce, tomato, and onion and serve.